Tuesday 11 May 2010

Typeface Design 2

This is the second typeface I have been working on. Again it started with a sketch, just so I could get an idea of what I wanted to do with the typeface.











I moved onto illustrator, also working on a 10x10 grid, hopefully this make the two typefaces feel Somewhat similar.







Once I had designed all the uppercase characters, I began to refine them and experimenting with subtly different designs. If you click the to enlarge the image below you can see the characters below the redline are the discarded ones.








Once I had a set of characters that I was beginning to feel happy with I tried setting them into some words and sentences. They are all taken from the book on Art Deco Graphics I withdrew from the library, I felt it was quite appropriate!

When you start to actually read the letters as part of words I think its easier to see which characters are working and which are not.







Above: original rounded 'R's and 'P's







Above: Smaller loops of 'R's and 'P's. This looks and reads better.







Above: Curley, looped 'R'









Again the two images above demonstrate a process of refining that is possible to do when the typeface can be read as a whole.


Next step is to begin to take the character set into, Fontlab. I also think that I should atleast try to make a set of lowercase characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment