Monday 5 April 2010

Bassment Logo



















I've begun to design a logo for the Bassment clubnight identity. I thought it would be really nice to have some kind of seal kind of logo, me a Phill are thinking of getting a rubber stamp to use as part of the identity and this goes with the rustic, rootsy feel of a reggae night.



















A fist is a nice image to use as part of the logo it has a powerful and confident feel as well as the obvious tie ins with the black power movement. I tried to trace a fist that I found on google images in Illustrator (ABOVE) but I really wasn't happy with how it looked.



















Luckily Phill had a vectored fist that he had used on another project that we could use for this. It has a much more solid, confident and stylised feel and I think it is more appropriate than the one I drew out.


















I tested out some typefaces, to get an idea of what would be appropriate for the feel I was going for.











Next I began to put them into a logo, still experiemnting with some different fonts to see what works best.


















I experimented with some different shaps for the seal.








I decided to use this wavey seal shape around the outside of the logo.













I added a reibbon at the bottom of the logo, I think its a nice way of containing the information and strengthens the overall look. I also experimented using the rastafarian colours in the ribbon, but think this is a bit obvious and cheesey for a reggae night.





























Experimenting further with layouts and shapes of the logo












































I was think that the fist was possibly the weekest part of the logo, because it was vectored in quite a rush, the line work really wasn't very strong. A friend, Nicola Walker who is a really good illustrator drew me another fist which I bagan to experimet with. The line work is really nice and its really detailed and looks a lot better constructed than the previous fist I was working with.




































I've experimented with a couple of layouts using the new fist logo.

I think with this brief I maybe need to experiment a bit more widely with the imagery used in the logo, but I also need to, fairley soon, narrow down my development and be decisive about what we are going to go forward with.

No comments:

Post a Comment